In a previous post, Green Smoothies 101, we discussed all things green smoothies. Today I share with you the signature drink of choice for Nutrition Stripped. Introducing The Stripped Smoothie! The Stripped Smoothie is my daily go-to smoothie every single morning, especially post-workout for easily absorbable nutrition. Freshly made fruit//vegetable smoothies are especially great in the morning to give our digestion a rest and continue with the detoxification process during the night before. It provides energy I need (and will for you too!) throughout the entire day with easy to digest fruits, vegetables, nutrients, antioxidants, fiber, protein and more!
What exactly makes this a “stripped” smoothie and what does this mean? The Stripped Smoothie is simply this: a high quality, nutrient dense, easy to digest green smoothie stripped from anything else but organic, raw vegetables, greens, and fruits. The Stripped Smoothie can be used as a “base” for other ingredients to build upon, which I commonly do. For example, I will add in extra vegan based protein powders post-workout, extra fruit, sometimes extra add-ins as well. The key is to use this as a base or simply drink in it’s original form, have fun!
The Stripped Smoothie add-ins |
- Vega Sport is my favorite, Sunwarrior and Warrior blend. Choose whichever protein you enjoy (when possible go for organic//raw based proteins)
- Extra fruit } especially post-workout, frozen bananas and cherries are my favorite.
- Superfood sides//add-ins } bee pollen, maca powder, lucuma, cocoa nibs, spirulina, chlorella, cinnamon, cayenne, coconut water, matcha tea powder, nut milks, sprouted buckwheat groats, raw gluten free oats, etc.
- Healthy Fats } hemp seeds, chia seeds, coconut milk, young coconut meat, unsweetened shredded coconut, avocado
- 1 cup of filtered water
- 1 cup of coconut water (double the filtered water if you don’t have this available)
- 1 large bunch (5 heavy handfuls) of organic kale
- 1 large head of organic romaine
- 5-7 large stalks of organic celery chopped
- 1 organic apple, cored and chopped
- 1-2 bananas, chopped (more bananas=sweeter)
- ½ cup of cilantro (optional)
- ½ cup of parsley (optional)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Using a high speed blender, pour filtered water(s) into the blender
- Add chopped celery stalks and romaine lettuce first, and turn on low speed
- Puree this mixture
- Gradually increase the speed and add chopped kale
- Add cilantro and parsley (optional)
- Add chopped apple and bananas (last)
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon
- Blend until creamy
- *At this point you may add more water to achieve your desired consistency!
- Pour into individual air tight mason jars or another air tight liquid container.
Stay tuned for many other variations on green smoothies and non-green smoothie recipes in the future!
How do you like making your green smoothies? Is this your first time trying? I’d love to hear your thoughts and experiences! Comment below.