Meet McKel (Hill) Kooienga, MS, RDN, LDN
McKel Kooienga is the founder of Nutrition Stripped, author of the Nutrition Stripped Cookbook, creator of the Mindful Nutrition Method, and is a leading voice in mindful eating, named “Top 20 Role Models” by Arianna Huffington.
The Nutrition Stripped community has reached millions of people around the world in 180+ countries, has award-nominated social media, and is featured in Oprah.com, Women’s Health, Today’s Dietitian, Bon Appetit, Food Network, Healthline, and many more.
Her proprietary Mindful Nutrition Method™, which is a transformative online live experience with live group coaching, course materials, tools, and private community for creating balanced eating habits that help you be free from food and diet obsession, maintain a balanced weight and cultivate a positive relationship with food and your body.
McKel’s method is different from the trending 30-day quick fixes and extreme diets — instead, she is known for a balanced, grounded, sustainable step-by-step approach to nourishment which has empowered thousands of people to rebalance their eating habits.
“Food is far more than nourishment on a cellular level for our physical bodies. It’s also about honoring the many roles food plays in our lives such as enjoyment, pleasure, connection, experiencing tradition, social and cultural connection, and joy. Eating balanced and mindfully includes both sides of this spectrum.” — McKel Kooienga, MS, RDN, LDN Founder of Nutrition Stripped
From The Founder
“Hi, I’m so grateful you’re here!
No matter where you are on your journey, I’m here to empower you to create balanced eating habits for life.
Early in my journey, I struggled so much with balance — especially in finding a way of eating and showing up for myself in a way that felt really unique for my body, aligned to my life, and that I actually enjoyed practicing.
After embarking on my personal journey combined with my decade of professional experience working with thousands of clients and students, I’ve created a method that will help you cultivate a positive relationship with food, maintain your unique balanced weight, and nourish yourself with more joy.
I have so much to share with you as you’re navigating this journey so you can cultivate balanced and mindful eating habits for life, I’m excited you are here!
What I’m Up To Daily
I practice what I preach and embody balance — I’m on Instagram intentionally to reply to your DM’s and say hi, but I mostly hang out with our members in the Mindful Nutrition Method private community, monthly live group coaching, and sending you emails through our free newsletter!
I love soaking up the present moment in nature in our modern sustainable home dreaming up new projects, being a student always learning more to share with you, growing organic food, playing with our growing forest farm family (including Luna who is the leader of the pack!), and spending quality time with the people I love.
Just for fun, things I’m into:
- ☀️ Gardening
- 🌿 Herbalism
- 🍽️ Cooking
- 🌲 Hiking
- 🌊 Paddle-boarding
- 🎨 Painting
- 🕯 Meditation
- 🔮 Favorite movie: The Labyrinth
- 🥗 Favorite meal: Foundational Five Nourish Bowl (aka “big satisfying salad”)
- 🙏🏻 Self-reflection
- ⚡️ Entrepreneur and love teaching RD’s how to create businesses they love – click here if you’re an RD and want to get on my waitlist for mentorship!
- ♋️ Cancer (with a libra rising – couldn’t you tell #balance?!), INFJ-A, Projector
Here’s How We Can Connect
First, you’ll want to start here by taking our “What’s your balanced eating archetype” Quiz! It’s such a fun way to assess where you are starting in your journey to balance and I give you tangible tools and resources to help you get started with ease.
Then, hop over to Instagram and send me a DM so I can say hi!
I’m so grateful for you to be part of our community and to meet you — I’m excited about your health journey and ours ahead!
With lots of love and gratitude,
p.s. if you like listening to podcasts, here are a few fun interviews you might like:
- McKel (Hill) Kooinega Shares Productivity Hacks To Beat Burnout and How To Reverse Engineer Your Dream Life (specifically great for RD’s!)
- *Top rated interview* How To Create Healthy Habits With Ease with Robyn on The Feel Good Effect Podcast
McKel Hill Kooienga MS, RDN, LDN is the Founder CEO of Nutrition Stripped and creator of the Mindful Nutrition Method™. She holds a Master of Science degree in Clinical Nutrition from Ohio State University and is a Registered and Licensed Dietitian Nutritionist.
McKel’s expertise and Nutrition Stripped have been featured in Oprah.com, The Good Life by Dr. Oz, SHAPE, SELF, Vogue, Bon Appetit, Real Simple, Eating Well, Women’s Health Magazine, Glamour, Food Network, and more.
Awarded “Top 20 Role Models named by Arianna Huffington”, “Nominated Best Social Media In Health And Wellness by Shorty Awards”, “2018 Winner of the Women Of Influence, Entrepreneur by Nashville Business Journal”, “Best Food Blog 2017 by Nashville Lifestyles”, Well + Good Council member. In addition, McKel has worked with some of the largest brands including LG, Haas Avocados, Fresh Beauty, New Chapter, Simple Mills, KitchenAid, and more.
In McKel’s work, she teaches how to reclaim balance with food by creating nourishing eating habits that are easy, aligned, and enjoyable with her proprietary Mindful Nutrition Method™.
- Bachelor of Science Human Ecology and Dietetics, The Ohio State University
- Master of Science Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics, The Ohio State University
- Masters Thesis: Dietitian Practitioners’ Knowledge, Behaviors, and Practices Regarding Dietary Supplements.
- RDN Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and LDN Licensed Dietitian Nutritionist
- Wellcoaches Behavioral Coaching training
- Member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Active Well + Good Council Member
- Science Advisory Board for Bragg Live Foods
Additional “for fun” training:
- The Power Of Awareness: the science of mind and mindfulness by Jack Kornfield and Tara Brach
- The Science and Art of Herbalism with Rosemary Gladstar
See more of McKel’s work on the Press page, here.
You can read more about Our Mission here.