About McKel (Hill) Kooienga, MS, RDN, LDN
McKel Hill Kooienga is the founder of Nutrition Stripped, author of the Nutrition Stripped Cookbook, creator of the Mindful Nutrition Method, and a leading voice in mindful eating, named “Top 20 Role Models” by Arianna Huffington.
The Nutrition Stripped community has reached millions of people around the world in 180+ countries, has award-nominated social media, and is featured in Oprah.com, Women’s Health, Today’s Dietitian, Bon Appetit, Food Network, Healthline, and many more.
Her proprietary Mindful Nutrition Method™, is a transformative online course for creating balanced eating habits that help you be free from food and diet obsession and cultivate a positive relationship with food and your body.
McKel’s method is different from the trending 30-day quick fixes and extreme diets. She is known for a balanced, grounded, sustainable step-by-step approach to nourishment which has empowered thousands of people to rebalance their eating habits.
“Food is far more than nourishment on a cellular level for our physical bodies. It’s also about honoring the many roles food plays in our lives such as enjoyment, pleasure, connection, experiencing tradition, social and cultural connection, and joy. Eating balanced and mindfully includes both sides of this spectrum.” — McKel Hill Kooienga, MS, RDN, LDN Founder of Nutrition Stripped
No matter where you are on your journey, what you’ll find at Nutrition Stripped is to empower you to create balanced eating habits for life.
Early in my journey, I struggled so much with balance. Especially in finding a way of eating and showing up for myself in a way that felt really unique for my body, aligned with my life, and that I actually enjoyed practicing.
After embarking on my personal journey combined with my decade of professional experience as an RD working with thousands of clients and students, I created a 3-part method that will help you cultivate a positive relationship with food and nourish yourself with more joy.
We have so much to offer you here at Nutrition Stripped so you can cultivate balanced and mindful eating habits for life.
Follow @nutritionstripped Instagram for all education, inspiration, and connection to help you create a balanced relationship with food for life.
Just for fun, things I’m into:
- ☀️ Gardening
- 🌿 Herbalism
- 🍽️ Cooking
- 🌲 Hiking
- 🌊 Paddle-boarding
- 🎨 Painting
- 🥗 Favorite meals: Foundational Five Nourish Bowl, vegetable korma, and black beans & rice
- 🙏🏻 Self-reflection
- ⚡️ Entrepreneur and love teaching RDs how to create businesses they love – click here if you’re an RD and want to get on my waitlist for mentorship!
- ♋️ Cancer
I’m so grateful for you to be part of our compassionate community, welcome!
With lots of gratitude,
Professional Education & Bio
McKel Hill Kooienga MS, RDN, LDN is the Founder of Nutrition Stripped and creator of the Mindful Nutrition Method™. She holds a Master of Science degree in Clinical Nutrition from Ohio State University and is a Registered and Licensed Dietitian Nutritionist.
McKel’s expertise and Nutrition Stripped have been featured in Oprah.com, The Good Life by Dr. Oz, SHAPE, SELF, Vogue, Bon Appetit, Real Simple, Eating Well, Women’s Health Magazine, Glamour, Food Network, and more.
Awarded “Top 20 Role Models named by Arianna Huffington”, “Nominated Best Social Media In Health And Wellness by Shorty Awards”, “2018 Winner of the Women Of Influence, Entrepreneur by Nashville Business Journal”, “Best Food Blog 2017 by Nashville Lifestyles”, Well + Good Council member. In addition, McKel has worked with some of the largest brands including LG, Haas Avocados, Fresh Beauty, New Chapter, Simple Mills, KitchenAid, and more.
In McKel’s work, she teaches how to reclaim balance with food by creating nourishing eating habits that are easy, aligned, and enjoyable with her proprietary Mindful Nutrition Method™.
Professional Background and Training:
- Bachelor of Science in Human Ecology and Dietetics, The Ohio State University
- Master of Science Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics, The Ohio State University
- Masters Thesis: Dietitian Practitioners’ Knowledge, Behaviors, and Practices Regarding Dietary Supplements
- RDN Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and LDN Licensed Dietitian Nutritionist
- Member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Mindful Self Compassion (MSC), training
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), training
- Wellcoaches Behavioral Coaching, training
- The Power Of Awareness by Jack Kornfield and Tara Brach, training
- The Science and Art of Herbalism by Rosemary Gladstar, training
- Well + Good Council
- Long time student of mindfulness meditation