How’s that for some alliteration (which I love for whatever reason). Anyways, today I thought I’d share one of my current food phases in the salad world, Avocado Artichoke Arugula & Spinach Salad. I get into food phases, which by my definition is eating a certain meal or food daily until you’re bored with it and move on and revisit another time (ha). This salad has been in my food phase as of late and who can blame me? It’s a fantastic combination of flavors and textures and is super simple to make.
The peppery arugula, sweet spinach, creamy avocado, smooth and buttery artichoke hearts, crunchy red onion, refreshing cucumber, nutty and slightly salty from the hemp seeds, and bright citrus flavor from the Zesty Lemon Shallot Dressing- is a flavor explosion. I promise this will be a party in your mouth! As with all my recipes, keep it simple, if you don’t like an ingredient or simply don’t have it on hand IMPROVISE to your hearts (and taste buds) desire. This salad can be made as a large salad or you can share with others!
- 1-2 cups of organic spinach
- 1-2 cups of arugula
- ½ cup fresh sliced organic cucumber
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 2-3 Tbs. of shelled hemp seeds (aka hemp hearts)
- ¼- 1/2 cup of roasted artichoke hearts (fresh then roasted or frozen and roasted, etc.)
- ½ avocado
- Prep all the vegetables by slices, dicing, or chopping.
- Slice the avocado in half and simply scoop out the avocado fruit.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large salad bowl.
- Dress with the Zesty Lemon Shallot Dressing (optional)
- Top with additional ingredients if desired (tofu, tempeh, beans, chicken, eggs, fish, nuts/seeds, etc.)
- Share with others… or not (your choice).
Do you get in “food phases”? What has been your latest favorite meal/food you can’t seem to get enough of? Share below, I’d love to hear about you and your quirky eats!
Happy salad making,