The simple guide on how to make tempeh fajitas, a delicious homemade fajita seasoning, and ways to make fajitas fit your lifestyle (i.e. dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, paleo, etc.)!
I love Mexican food (especially fajitas) and the whole process of building your own from an assortment of toppings and sizzling peppers with some sort of protein. This is such a fun meal to make solo or with your love or family and friends where everyone can get involved in the process.
Fajitas are great for batch cooking and meal prep because they’re:
Versatile, use any toppings or proteins you enjoy
Make for a quick lunch or dinner leftovers
Require minimal cooking and quick prep
Can utilize your batch-cooked food items from the weekend (i.e. protein, veggies, rice)
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced red onion
- Sliced jalapeno
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced radish
- Classic Cashew Cheese (for a cheesy spread or my favorite brand of non-dairy cheese is KiteHill, so good!)
- Diced avocado
- Fresh lime wedges
- Lime Cauliflower Rice on the side
- Proteins to meet your lifestyle: thinly sliced organic tempeh, organic tofu, beans, lentils, chicken, shrimp, wild-caught fish, etc.
METHOD: For the sake of the recipe, what I’d like to share is the seasoning mix I make, this will allow you to be completely flexible and make whatever protein fits your lifestyle! After you’ve cooked the protein of your choice, take a corn tortilla or sometimes I’ll skip the tortillas and add the protein and veggies to a huge bowl of greens if I was lacking in veggies that day – then add the protein and fill it up with toppings from the list above, that you enjoy. DONE! It’s truly that easy.
We tend to make both chicken and fish at home, but for this recipe, I made tempeh since it holds best for several days in the fridge and I wanted some lunch on the go! If you and your partner have different proteins you enjoy, then just make both and store all the fajita components (i.e. toppings) in separate glass containers so you can freely assemble them during the week – that’s what we do and it’s super easy!
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons ground paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Add all spices to a bowl or jar and mix well.
- Store in airtight container, good for several months.
- Use about 1 teaspoon per protein serving, adjust to taste.