In my previous post I gave you an introduction to all things spirulina. Today, I share with you a quick, simple, and of course delicious recipe using the green goodness that is spirulina! Introducing a variation on The Stripped Green Smoothie called Tidal Wave topped with crunchy chia seeds.
This hydrating smoothie is not only extremely hydrating from all the wonderful vegetables, fruits and chia seeds, but it’s also packed with complete plant proteins. It’s one of my favorite go-to smoothies post-workout, which is perfect for rebuilding, refueling, and repairing those muscles you just worked so hard to activate. The proteins found in this smoothie are plant-based, which are very alkalizing in the body and easy on digestion versus your standard protein mixes out there (with who knows what other questionable ingredients…that’ll be another post), which are more acid forming.
As I shared in the Spotlight On Spirulina blog post, the high protein and nutrient content found in spirulina is easy to digest, readily available to be used by the body, and is non-acid forming. This is a perfect marriage of hydrating and nourishing whole foods to keep your body happy, healthy and energized. I get that many of you may be thinking that drinking a sea vegetable is a little too adventurous for you, but spirulina and seaweeds/blue-green algae’s are great for increasing the minerals in our diet in such an easy way.
- 1/4th of the Stripped Green Smoothie recipe (about 16 oz.)
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 heaping Tbs. organic spirulina powder
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder; Vega (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Simply take 1/4 of your Stripped Smoothie and combine in Vitamix/ high-speed blender all the remaining ingredients (leave 1 teaspoon of chia seeds out)
- Blend until thick and creamy.
- Take 1 teaspoon of the chia seeds and put a straight line on the top of the smoothie. Taking a knife or straw simply “swoop” it over to the right to create a fancy wave design (this is optional of course, but fun).
- Serve with a straw.
This is such a simple and delicious way to pack a punch in your green smoothie (which is already loaded with nutrition!). Comment below if you try this out, I’d love to hear your experiences!
p.s. If you’re interested in making your own smoothies with the same blender I use, Vitamix is the one for me (and for you too!). I’m an affiliate with Vitamix, which means you get a discount when shopping through Nutrition Stripped. Simply click on the Vitamix icon to your right, here, or use Coupon Code 06-008786. Happy blending!