I’m getting ahead of myself here, but last year I was left with so many tomatoes from my mini-garden that I didn’t know what to do with them all without getting bored! One can only have salsa so many days of the week, ya know? This is a delicious recipe to use tomatoes off the vine or cherry tomatoes from the market in a sweet, savory spread mixed with cashews and fresh herbs that make this a spreadable…spread.
Try this recipe dolloped over proteins like grilled fish, shrimp, or chicken; warm grains like quinoa or gluten free pasta; or on top of roasted vegetables like asparagus or even corn on the cob! Learn about the featured whole food ingredients and their health benefits and nutrition information in the NS Pantry. Tomatoes are one of several vegetables that actually become more nutritious, if you will, upon cooking!
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for baking, 2 tablespoons for assembly
- 2 pounds of cherry tomatoes or vine tomatoes (thinly sliced)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- Optional add-in’s: fresh basil to taste
- Soak cashews in water for 2 hours until soft, discard water.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a lined baking sheet, add olive oil, tomatoes, sea salt, and black pepper. Roast for 45 minutes or until tomatoes are soft, sweet, and caramelized.
- In a food processor or blender, combine soaked cashews with roasted tomatoes, sea salt, black pepper, juice of 1 lemon, garlic, and olive oil; adjust seasonings to taste.
- To use: spread on toast, bread, vegetables, roasted vegetables, proteins like fish or eggs, mixed in with grains like quinoa, etc.
- Store in an airtight glass container for up to 1 week.
What will you use this spread on? Let me know what you think when you give this recipe a go! Leave a comment and rate it, rating helps me continue to improve recipes for you. I love seeing what you come up with so don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #nutritionstripped on Instagram for a chance to win something cool when I repost. If this easy, delicious and healthy recipe is your jam and want even more? Sign up for the the NS Society, a space to get simple meal plans, healthy recipes, and wellness guides so you can find a balanced wellbeing and connect with others.
Love this simple recipe and want even more? Sign up for the NS Society and get healthy meal plans, wellness guides, a community of support, and more!