Enter in, food trend. So, have you heard about this weird yet amazing thing called sweet potato toast? Here’s an NS spin on this trendy recipe circulating the web – with a variety of ideas so you can try it at home. Read more for how to make simple sweet potato toast 5 ways with your topping choice of tahini, fried egg, avocado, almond butter, smoked salmon, the possibilities are endless. This one will certainly be in my meal prep rotation in the coming weeks!
Toast, without the toast?
When I first saw Sweet Potato Toast on Pinterest, I have to admit I was a bit skeptical. How can you call it toast without the actual toast? Avocado toast is my go-to quick meal, but I usually throw a piece of my Grain-Free Walnut Bread in the toaster and will top it with avocado and one of the six ways I shared in this blog post.
After giving it a go, I kinda fell in love with this concept because I’m already sweet potato obsessed (Stuffed Dessert Sweet Potatoes, Cinnamon Truffle, Flourless Blackberry Cake, etc.). The sweet potato slices cook really nicely in the toaster and hold up even with a ton of toppings (which is the way I like it). The sweet potato flavor adds a nice subtle sweetness without overpowering the toppings you choose. Plus the biggest advantage of using sweet potatoes as a bread substitute is the added nutrition you get! Sweet potatoes, like carrots and other orange colored fruits and vegetables, contain beta-carotene that gets converted into vitamin A in our body. Vitamin A is important for hair, skin, nails, vision, and plays a key role in immune function. Sweet potatoes are also a great option if you’re gluten free, want a little more fiber in your diet, or are tired of breads for toast. Combine that with superfood toppings, protein, and a healthy fat and you have a seriously nutrient packed and delicious meal or snack.
5 WAYS TO TOP SWEET POTATO TOAST:
- Tahini + Sesame Seeds + Goji Berries
- Fried Egg + Sea Salt + Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Mashed Avocado + Sea Salt + Red Pepper Flakes
- Crunchy Almond Butter + Cacao Nibs
- Dijon Mustard + Smoked Salmon + Black Pepper + Parsley
- 1 large sweet potato
- Your choice of toppings:
- Tahini with sesame seeds and goji berries
- Fried egg with sea salt and black pepper
- Avocado with sea salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper
- Almond butter with cacao nibs
- Dijon mustard with smoked salmon, black pepper, and parsley
- Slice the sweet potato lengthwise into ¼ inch thick slices
- Place the sweet potato slices in a toaster on high for about 5 minutes or until cooked through. You may need to toast multiple times depending on the length of your toaster settings.
- Top with desired toppings and enjoy! Sweet potato toast slices can be stored in an airtight glass container for up to 1 week.
Ingredients for this recipe: almond butter, goji berries, cacao nibs, tahini, sesame seeds
Toast with the most
What do you think about sweet potato toast? Have you tried it for yourself, and if you have what did you think? If you make this at home be sure to tell me what you think in the comments and rate the recipe! And don’t forget to share on Instagram with #nutritionstripped so I can see!
Photos by Kelsey Cherry
Sign up for the mailing list and get the FREE Rules to Living Whole and Eating Well eBook!