How can a recipe containing all great things like crunchy nutty almonds, sweet coconut, and ooey-gooey dates be anything but delicious? Almond Coconut Date Globes encompass all of those flavors and more. This is a quick and nutrient packed recipe to satisfy your sweet tooth (which I have a whole mouth full) or to take with you on the go for a quick and energizing snack. Previously, I’ve introduced you to Spirulina Energy Globes, but today I share a more sweet version of what I like to call “globes” Why do I refer them to “globes”? Technically a globe is a spherical shape similar to the earth or planets- a.k.a. the perfect portable and mouth popable (yes, I made that word up) shape for a treat and this treat is full of ingredients from the earth, all which are plant based!
Let’s talk ingredients. As always, with my recipes cater them to your own taste preferences. If you aren’t fond of a particular ingredient IMPROVISE and have fun in the kitchen. The ingredients in these globes mesh perfectly with one another. The texture reminded me of a Fig Newton//caramel with the taste of a powdered donut (random I know, but that’s the first thing that came to mind). Not only are these globes delicious, but they’re packed with nutrition in a perfect size!
Nutrient breakdown of Almond Coconut Date Globes |
- Vitamin B | B1, B2, niacin, B6, folate
- Vitamin E
- Iron | especially from the almond butter and almond meal
- Calcium | especially from the almond butter and almond meal
- Healthy fats | omega-3, omega-6 and MCT (medium chain triglycerides) from the coconut
- Simply & Complex carbohydrates
- Antioxidants | which are greatly enhanced when raw cocoa or raw cacao nibs are added to the “rolling” process
- 1 cup/or 20 large dates, soaked and pitted dates
- 3 tablespoon ground raw almonds (a.k.a. almond meal)
- 2 heaping Tbs. almond butter (I like raw & creamy)
- 3 tablespoon shredded organic coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon of filtered water (as needed)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cinnamon
- cacao nibs (optional)
- shredded coconut (optional)
- raw cocoa powder (optional)
- Soak the pitted and halved dates in filtered water for 30 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Blend the dates in a high speed blender to form a "paste".
- Add the almond meal and continue to blend/pulse until combined.
- Pour this mixture into a large mixing bowl to combine the remaining ingredients.
- Use your hands and get a little messy.
- Combine all the ingredients using your hands in a "kneading" motion until you form what resembles a very sticky dough.
- Chill in the refridgerator until cold (about 10-20 minutes).
- Take the "dough" mixture and roll small tablespoon or golf ball sized balls into the palms of your hands.
- Continue this process until all the dough has been formed into mini balls.
- Place on a plate/rack and put in the refridgerator or freezer until you serve.
- Keep these cool.
- Optional: you may roll the almond coconut date balls into cacao nibs, cocoa powder, crushed nuts, or more shredded coconut.
- DEVOUR! (or politely enjoy)
Have you tried making any type of recipe for “globes”, what has been your favorite? Comment below I love hearing your feedback!
Happy globe rollin’,