Next week I’m happily headed to Asheville, NC with my sweet to explore the city, eat, drink, and try all the amazing healthy options the city has to offer. But first, healthy eating while on vacation truly starts with the prep you do ahead of time and taking care of your snacks and eats while traveling- so regardless if you’re going on a road trip to a city close by or making a trip around the US- try these healthy snacks to go and take a peek at what’s in my bag…
Healthy snack go-to’s!
I’m really excited to be sharing the first peek at the NS Avocado Love Tote bag (!)- it was highly requested and can’t wait to officially put it in the NS Shop very very soon so stay tuned for that one! I’m not just saying this because it’s an NS bag, but it’s been amazing to use it to carry groceries, my snacks for the road as pictured, laptop for work, or to the gym. We’re driving to Asheville, NS which isn’t too far from Nashville, about a 4 hour drive, but hey- I get hungry! The key to when you’re traveling whether it’s 4 hours or 14 hours, is to stay hydrated, always be prepared, and enjoy.
Tips for surviving a road trip and what to pack!
- Fresh fruit: my favorite fruits and ones I recommend are ones with peels unless you’d like to bring a container to store cut watermelon, oranges, or any other fruit that’s a bit messy. The bonus with bringing fruit with a peel on it is no trash, no fuss with containers in the car!
- Nuts and seeds: any and all nuts and seeds are fair game here, my favorites are pumpkin seeds and almonds (both raw and unsalted)
- Whole food based bars: I love these new Go Lean Plant-Powered Bars from Kashi, they’re gluten free (Non-GMO Project Verified), vegan friendly with 8g protein per serving (!), contains 4g fiber, and made with fair-trade USA certified cocoa which is an added bonus because who doesn’t want a little chocolate in their snacking situation on the road? Also they come in so many flavors, the Salted Dark Chocolate & Nuts and Dark Chocolate Cashew Chia are my favs.
- Water. Water and beverages are key! Staying hydrated, even if you’re driving in the car is crucial so when you arrive at your destination you’re feeling awake, energized, and your digestive system is happy. I also love bringing along green juice to squeeze in some veggies while I can!
- Protein packs: I love bringing along protein powder just in case I’m in a bind and need a little boost and to help curb hunger- I’ve been loving these new ones from Kashi that’s a blend of plant-based proteins
- Great book to read– haha see what I did there. Honestly, I’m so excited about the Nutrition Stripped Cookbook I did bring it along with me in my tote to read and let it soak in, otherwise I always have a good book to read or music to jam to depending on the mood and how long the car ride is.
- Comfortable clothes: I’m all about comfort especially when it’s a long car ride, try linens, cotton, jumpsuits, or the whole athleisure thang.
- Good company. Because that makes the world of difference!
If you want more advice and help on how to prepare for the road or for airplane travel, check out my eBook on Healthy Travels. I hope this helps you the next time you’re on a road trip, guys!
I’d love to hear your thoughts on Asheville, NC- do you live there? If so, what are your favorite local spots to eat, drink, and explore? What should I know about the city? Best chefs, art galleries, hikes, etc. Thanks guys! I’ll be taking a vacation from Snapchat while I’m gone but I’ll be posting my favorite eats and places on Instagram as much as possible.
This post was in partnership with Kashi but all opinions about the product are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that support Nutrition Stripped.