I love salads all year long, but especially in the warmer months I crave salads including seasonal fruits and veggies. They’re light, refreshing, easy on digestion, but also provide enough satiety to keep you feeling full until your next meal or snack. Watermelon Grapefruit & Blackberry Salad combines the best of the bunch when it comes to refreshing and light summer fruits combined with a sweet and tangy Honey Mint Drizzle.
If you’ve learned one thing about me from previous posts, it’s that I love a variety of flavor combinations and textures in one dish, it keeps my taste buds and belly happy! This dish gets a check mark for both flavor and texture combinations. The watermelon is extremely hydrating (rightfully so, as it’s comprised of about 92% water), tangy, sweet, and slightly bitter grapefruit, and the sweet blackberries bursting with juicy sweetness. The spongey texture of the watermelon goes perfectly with the more dense blackberries and fibrous grapefruit. All in all, this fruit salad is a keeper!
My Watermelon Grapefruit & Blackberry Salad may be a new favorite to bring to your next grill out, backyard parties with friends, or simply to keep around the house for a quick snack or breakfast. Some of my other favorite salads this time of year are the Massaged Kale Salad and Avocado Artichoke Arugula & Spinach Salad.
Nutrient breakdown of Watermelon Grapefruit & Blackberry Salad |
- Vitamins | A, C, E, B1, B5, folate, K
- Antimicrobial compounds via the fresh mint and honey
- Anti-fungal, anti-microbial, anti-bacterial compounds from the honey
WAYS TO ENJOY |
- Take a lettuce wrap using swiss chard, romaine lettuce, or butter lettuce and fill with salad for a quick snack on the go
- Add sliced or cubed avocado for a more filling salad
- Serve on top of Simply Oat Pancakes or Coconut Flour Crepe-cakes
- Add hemp seeds, walnuts, or almond for a crunch and added protein
- Serve on top of BanaNO Cream
- Use Massaged Kale Salad as base and fold in this fruit salad for a light and refreshing lunch
- 1lb of fresh watermelon, cubed into small bite sized pieces
- 3 red or pink grapefruits, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 3 cups blackberries, whole
- Peel grapefruit and slice into rounds or you may choose to segment the grapefruit
- Squeeze the remaining juice out of the grapefruit “pulp” that’s left over after segmenting the grapefruit flesh. Keep this in a separate bowl for later.
- Cube the watermelon in small bite size pieces.
- Toss in blackberries.
- Keep this in a large mixing bowl and toss with Honey Mint Drizzle upon serving (recipe below).
- 1 cup of fresh grapefruit juice (left over from segmenting)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped/julienned
- 1 heaping tablespoon of local, raw honey (sugar free version use stevia to sweeten)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Simply combine all ingredients and whisk together.
- You may also combine in a small blender to emulsify.
- Serve with any salad, but especially delicious on the Watermelon Grapefruit & Blackberry Salad
What’s your favorite combination of summer fruit? Share below, I love hearing your responses!
Have a sweet day!