Try this delicious, thick and frothy coffee made with coconut milk, coconut oil, medicinal mushrooms, and stevia for a healthy fat, vegan bulletproof coffee.
ELEVATE (verb): to bring to the next level, to improve, to make better, to lift up. We’ve all heard about bulletproof coffee, yeah? Essentially BP coffee is MCT oil and butter that’s been emulsified with high-quality coffee. Yet this is Coffee, Elevated – Nutrition Stripped style with a boost of inflammation-fighting medicinal mushrooms, maca, warming nutmeg, and MCT oil (which has heaps of health benefits you can read about here that emulsifies the coffee and ingredients together). Coconut milk rich in saturated fats and gives this a super creamy taste, plus a touch of stevia to taste makes it quite the treat. Not to mention, everyone can enjoy this since it’s completely dairy-free and vegan-friendly! Oh, and you can make it in 2 minutes?! Cheers!
- I only use organic and fair-trade coffee (just like with chocolate!): Equal Exchange, Ola’s, Good Coffee for a Good Cause are great options.
- The medicinal mushrooms are completely optional, yet are highly recommended and really set this coffee apart from all the rest. If you’re new to them, check out my post on medicinal mushrooms then you gotta try it out for a mega health boost! I get my powdered mushrooms here from the lovely Amanda at MJ or you can find them here, here, and here.
- Maca 101 and here’s the brand I love.
- The MCT oil I use is this one or you can use coconut oil, MCT oil obviously has the higher concentration of medium chain triglycerides in comparison to coconut oil. Have questions about healthy fats? Be sure to read my Basics post all about Fat (i.e. don’t fear the fat!).
- Make it a mocha! Add 1 tablespoon high-quality cocoa powder.
Have you tried the “bulletproof” coffee trend? Let me know what you think when you give this recipe a go! Leave a comment and rate it, rating helps me continue to improve recipes for you. I love seeing what you come up with so don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #nutritionstripped on Instagram!