It’s the week after the holidays, well, not technically all the holidays since New Year’s Eve is coming up! I thought this would be the perfect, simple, nourishing, healthy, yet classic comfort food to share with you after the heaviness of the holidays and to take care of all those extra leftovers. Introducing my go-to breakfast taco recipe, the Ultimate Breakfast Taco. A template to make your own tacos from here on out with a simple baseline recipe including fresh cilantro, avocado, tomatoes, red onions, pinto beans, and scrambled eggs. Add a touch of fresh lime juice and red chili flakes, and you’re golden.
Tacos for breakfast.
Normally I enjoy sweet things like smoothies, fruits, porridges, and smoothie bowls first thing in the morning. But lately during the fall and winter, my body is craving more warming foods, and these Ultimate Breakfast Tacos do the trick. I love adding warming spices like red chili flakes, cumin, hot sauce, and even a sprinkle of ground cinnamon. It tastes amazing, and these take less than 10 minutes to make no matter if you’re enjoying these for a savory breakfast or for lunch and dinner. I hesitate to call this a “recipe” because it’s that simple, but I want you to have fun with these and add ingredients that you love and keep the ones you don’t want off the list. I typically enjoy the garnishes like red onion, bell pepper, and beans served room temperature or raw vegetables, but you can always saute these components when you’re scrambling the eggs for a completely cooked filling. Both are delicious!
I’m going to go out on a limb here, stay with me, but another way I love eating these aren’t with a corn tortilla at all. It’s eating them burrito-style with my Coconut Flour Crepe-cakes. Trust me, the soft crepe like texture makes for a perfect delicate wrap with a slightly sweet taste which balances the taco filling perfectly, AND you get the best of both worlds. Savory and sweet for breakfast. I hope you give both of these a go, and let me know which way you enjoy them most.
My favorite ways to serve these tacos, additional toppings to give them a boost!
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2-4 eggs (I use 2 whole + 2 egg whites), beaten/scrambled
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 organic corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup pinto beans
- 1/2 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, adjust to taste
- 1/2 avocado
- Juice of 1 lime
- Sprinkle to taste: sea salt, black pepper, cumin, red chili flake, sliced jalapeno optional
- In a medium-hot skillet add coconut oil and minced garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes before adding scrambled eggs. Cook eggs to your desired texture, I cook mine for medium-well about 5 minutes. Add sea salt, black pepper, cumin, red chili flake during this cooking step, adjust to taste.
- Gently warm your corn tortillas in the oven, a microwave, or I place them directly on top of the eggs that are in the skillet just to warm them to touch and pick them off the top of the pan.
- To serve, fill each corn tortilla with the scrambled eggs, divided. Follow by adding your favorite toppings such as the garnishes above. Adjust seasonings and spices to taste.
- Best eaten immediately or save leftover toppings for more quick tacos the next day.
Something big is coming to NS! Speaking of batch cooking, I can’t wait to share something I’ve been working on this past year, with you all in the New Year! Eeeeek. Be sure that you’re signed up for the Nutrition Stripped newsletter to not only get free eBooks and guides BUT to also be the first to hear about these exciting news! Sign up here.
What are your favorite taco toppings and garnishing to stuff corn shells with? Let me know what you think when you give this recipe a go! Leave a comment and rate it, rating helps me continue to improve recipes for you. I love seeing what you come up with so don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #nutritionstripped on Instagram!
Tis’ the season, so get ahead of it. I coach 1-1 with people like you over the world to help optimize your health, reach goals, feel and look amazing! Sign up here to chat with me about how we can work together and take the first step to make this your healthiest and happiest year yet.