First there was Turmeric Milk, then there was Turmeric Tea, then there was everything under the sun that I’ve been including turmeric in- all for good reason. I LOVE turmeric and you should too… This milkshake is thick and creamy without any of the cream or dairy like most milkshakes and of course, has the queen spice turmeric!
It’s been hot here in Nashville to say the least…like, so hot. 100 degrees F (38 degrees C) and humid, so my body is craving something cold and refreshing most days of the week and this one totally hits the spot for breakfast, a snack, or even dessert. To recap why I love turmeric so much, I’ll just touch on the basics because those of you who have been reading along with me now know this and it’s probably drilled into your minds. Turmeric is one of the most powerful inflammation-fighting spices, it tastes amazing and can be used in sweet and savory dishes. Read more about the nutrition and health benefits of turmeric here, here, here, and here. Not only is this a beautiful creamy texture, but it’s also stunning as you can see! The golden yellow color is beautiful and reminds me of summer.
I always like to give you options with my recipes and exercise flexibility and this recipe is no different. If you’re looking for something a little bit more protein rich, I highly recommend adding in a vanilla plant-based protein powder to easily boost the protein to 15-25g protein depending on the brand. You can also add more healthy fats to this by adding almond butter or peanut butter (which actually makes this taste like a cake batter!), and you can add a pinch of cayenne for a kick of heat which is really fun with the ice cold milkshake. Another option, if you don’t want to use frozen bananas in this recipe, you can actually use my Simply Coconut Milk Ice Cream instead, which is delicious and adds more richness to this recipe than the bananas do.
- 1 cup canned full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1-2 frozen bananas
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of ground cinnamon, adjust to taste
- Pinch of sea salt, adjust to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, adjust to taste
- Using a high-speed blender, combine all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth. Adjust all seasonings to taste.
- Enjoy immediately and garnish with optional toasted coconut and additional dashes of cinnamon.