What a more perfect way to start off the month of December than with a healthy sweet treat! These Raw Chocolate Malt Brownie Bites are sure to hit the spot with your sweet tooth, but also keep you on track through the holiday season full of indulgences. Ooey-gooey dates pulsed with finely ground almonds, hazelnuts, cacao powder, chopped chocolate chunks and a secret superfood ingredient to make these malt flavored. These Raw Chocolate Malt Brownie Bites are sure to please everyone this holiday season, I hope you enjoy!
Since we’re in holiday mode around the globe, I’m going to be sharing a lot more sweet treats than I normally would- I hope you all don’t mind that (ha ha). I absolutely love these Raw Chocolate Malt Brownie Bites when I’m craving something sweet after dinner or for a quick snack. The perfect combination of healthy fats and carbohydrates is a hunger killer combo (POW!). These brownie bites don’t have the same texture as a cooked brownie obviously- they’re not warm, but they’re still ooey-gooey and super decedent!
Why do I use maca powder? To create a natural and subtle malt flavor without using dairy at all, maca comes to the rescue. I’ve spoken about why I love using maca before in my Superfoods 101 post, which you can revisit to read up on some of my other favorites; but particularly maca is an excellent superfood to add into these raw brownies. Not only for the delicious flavor maca contributes, but also for the nutrient density it gives these desserts.
HOLIDAY GIFT IDEA |
- After you’ve rolled the brownie bites into bite-sized balls, you can give them a little more lovin’ and make them extra special by dusting them with raw cocoa powder or shredded coconut for an addition flare.
- Store in a cute air tight container like this one from Crate & Barrel, which I adore, or my favorite- a good ole’ mason jar!
- Make your own gift tag with a piece of brown craft paper or your favorite piece of scrapbooking paper (the possibilities are endless with these); cut into a long pentagon shape, punch a single hole in the very tip, string a rustic hemp string or beautiful colored ribbon through the hole tying the two ends together creating a circular string to lay on top and and around the top of the jar. Click here for a visual idea!
- Use a really fun and festive metallic permanent marker to do your writing on the gift tag! There’s nothing more special than getting a personalized touch from someone you love.
- 1 1/2 cups almonds
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cup dates, pitted
- 1 Vega Maca Chocolate bar (optional), chopped
- 1 tablespoon organic maca powder
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Place nuts in food processor/high speed blender on pulse, and blend on high until the nuts are finely ground.
- Add the cacao and salt.
- Pulse to combine.
- Add the dates one at a time through the feed tube of the food processor while it is running.
- The end result will look like crumbs, but it should easily stick together when you press the mixture together (if not, add more dates).
- In a large bowl combine the ground nuts/dates with the remaining ingredients.
- Place this mixing bowl into the fridge for about 20 minutes to cool/harden.
- After chilled, roll the mixture into bite sized (about 1 tablespoon) balls and roll in the palm of your hand. Do this until the mixture is all rolled.
- Place rolled brownie bites onto a flat sheet or plate to cool before stacking into an airtight container for storage.
- Place in freezer or fridge until ready to serve.
- Store in an airtight container.
- These stay great in the freezer for long safe-keeping!
I hope you all enjoy these little beauties as much as I do! They’re perfect for the holiday table, gifts, or just a nice treat/snack for yourself during this season. Have a wonderful weekend everyone! p.s. what do you want to hear on Nutrition Stripped? Comment below with some of your ideas and suggestions. (i.e. cooking videos? more recipes? product reviews? nutrition tips? etc.)