Another quick, challenging, and efficient workout by my gal pal and training expert Hannah Davis.
This month has been SO full with both my personal life and professional, everything seems to grow at the same time and I’m super grateful for it, but working out has been a challenge to squeeze in like my normal routine. I’ve been using these short bursts HIIT workouts, like this one I’m sharing today and I hope it helps you get your workout in no matter what! Hannah is a genius at creating simple workouts that really get your blood pumping. Up next is a fun HIIT (high-intensity interval training) workout that you can do at home or in the gym. I’ll let Hannah take it from here!
This workout is a great way to get a quick burst of energy and metabolic boost. HIIT is super trendy, but most people fail to do it right. The goal is to put in your very best effort at maximum intensity for a short amount of time (because that’s all you can sustain the good work for!) and follow it with enough rest to be able to complete the next interval at a comparable effort.Follow this workout protocol with these fun exercises and you might actually realize that you LOVE HIIT training!
Set a timer for 30 seconds of work followed by 30 seconds of rest. Perform exercises in order and cycle through entire circuit 3-5 times, depending on available time and fitness level. Make this workout more challenging as you progress by shortening your rest time to 20 seconds or increasing your work time. If your form starts to fail, you are DONE!
01 Battle Bounds
Bound Forward/Burpee/High Knees back
- Bound, or jump forward one big leap.
- Thrust back into a plank for one push up, jump feet back in towards hands and stand.
- Drive knees up high as you travel backward to the starting position.
02 Skater Burpee
- Jump to your right, laterally, landing on only your right foot.
- Keeping the left foot off the ground, jump back into a three-point plank position.
- Then jump back in towards your chest with the same right leg.
- Repeat the move, but jumping to the left this time. Go slow at first until you get the hang of it, then try to get faster!
03 Half Squat Get Up
- Start on both knees.
- Lift the right leg forward in a lunge position and then bring your left foot up next to your right. Stay low.
- Try not to stand all the way up. Instead, stay in as low of a squat position as you can.
04 Suspended Bird Dog
- Start in an all four “bear crawl” position.
- Knees are just slightly off the ground.
- As you reach forward with the right arm, extend the left leg out behind you.
- Repeat on the other side.
05 Three Point Jump Squat
- Perform a jump squat landing in a lunge position and immediately jumping back up to reverse the legs in the air and land with the other leg forward.
- Immediately perform another lunge jump landing in center squat position.
- Keep it moving and push through the burn, baby!
06 Glute Bridge and Pike
- Lie back and place your right heel on the ground and extend the right leg up in the air.
- Perform a single sided glute bridge with the right leg and each time you lower the hip back down to the ground, lift your shoulders off the ground and reach up to your left toe.
Do you do high intensity interval training? What moves are your favorite in a HIIT workout? Share your thoughts in the comments, and if you liked this one let me know what you think! Happy sweatin’, guys!
Hannah Davis, CSCS, has been featured in national publications and television shows as a leading fitness expert. She served as the fitness expert for Cosmopolitan Magazine and her workouts have been featured in Women’s Health, SELF, Fitness and Oprah Magazines, to name a few. She is the author of the Operation Bikini Body Training Program and owns her own personal training studio in Tennessee. Hannah’s mission is to empower women by becoming physically strong and capable of taking back their health.