Today I share with you a quick recipe to show and express your patriotic side for July 4th today! Red White and Blueberry is a vibrantly colored and flavored smoothie that’s sure to please your taste buds, your body, keep you hydrated in the heat, and won’t weight you down with that “heavy” feeling (especially with all the other goodies available at parties). Red White and Blueberry smoothie is easy on digestion (which is so important friends!), loaded with nutrients, fiber, and protein. All in all, this is a fantastic way to celebrate July 4th with a healthy twist.
I’m sure many of you are planning parties, BBQ’s, or hang outs with friends and families (I know we are!), and many of these gatherings ask to bring a dish, drink, or something to share. Some of my favorite effortless and portable eats to share at cook outs and BBQ’s are salads (check here, here, and here), snacks (Almond Coconut Date Globes, Spirulina Energy Globes or my recent favorite Spicy Sweet Nut & Seed Mix). All of these are perfect to share with loved ones and can make everyones tastes buds explode (even the little ones!). This recipe combines the sweet flavors from bananas, and cherries, with the slightly tart flavors from the raspberries and blueberries and if you know me, you know I snuck in some greens (spinach) is perfectly disguised in the blueberry layer- no one will know!
TIP // Make at the time of serving since it’s chilled and will melt. It requires several easy steps to assemble, I suggest after each “layer” you make, storing it in the freezer until all “layers” are made and ready for assembly.
Wait no more! Here is the super FUN recipe.
- 2 bananas, frozen
- 1- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (or unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 cup blueberries, frozen
- 2 cups spinach, fresh
- 1/2 cup raspberries, frozen
- 1/2 cup cherries, frozen
- zest of lemon
- shredded coconut, to garnish
- Simply blend in a Vitamix/high speed blender the ingredients for each layer below.
- It’s important to blend the following ingredients seperatley to have the “stripe effect”.
- After making each layer, I suggest keeping it in the freezer (in their separate bowls) so it will not melt and assembling the layers after all are made.
- Blue Layer // Blend spinach and blueberries together until smooth (use coconut milk to achieve the desired thickness/thinness)
- Red Layer // Blend raspberries and cherries together until smooth (use coconut milk to achieve the desired thickness/thinness).
- White Layer // Blend frozen banana and zest of lemon until smooth (use coconut milk to achieve the desired thickness/thinness).
- Alternate the blue Layer with the white Layer until all is used. The last layer will be only red.
- Garnish with unsweetened shredded coconut flakes!
I hope you enjoy your holiday! What plans do you have to celebrate? Are there any dishes that you traditionally cook or bring to your parties? Share below, I love hearing what you have to say, yes YOU!
Happy 4th of July!
If you’re interested in making your own smoothies with the same blender I use, Vitamix is the one for me (and for you too!). I’m an affiliate with Vitamix, which means you get a discount when shopping through Nutrition Stripped. Simply click on the Vitamix icon to your right, here, or use Coupon Code 06-008786. Happy blending!