All I’m going to intro this recipe with is…pure food romance on a fork. It might sound strange, but I swear this is a delicious combination of pureed Castelvetrano and olive oil to create a buttery spread served with protein rich eggs.
Using a basic food like Castelvetrano green olives and transforming it into something eerily familiar to a classic comfort food/ingredient like butter is one of my favorite ways to play in the kitchen. I love the act of making this plate, adding a generous dollop of the pureed Castelvetrano green olives that resemble a butter texture, followed by a protein rich egg, silky egg yolk, and finished with a drizzle of olive oil. This entrée is loaded with protein, fiber, and healthy fats, all components I look for when making a meal satisfying and truly well balanced. The only thing missing is a fiber rich carbohydrate, which can easily be met by adding a slice of toasted Artisan Seeded Bread (from the #NScookbook) or the Grain Free Walnut Bread. It’s the perfect vehicle for soaking up all those extra yolk bits. The protein from the egg white and healthy fats from the egg yolk and olive oil are a winning combination for satiety and balance. Don’t be afraid or intimidated by enjoying the seductive runny egg yolk, egg yolks contain a host of nutrients including zinc, iron, vitamin B12, choline, selenium, and calcium. The absolute best part of this recipe is the first moment you break into the soft cooked egg yolk and it flows uncontrollably over the rest of the ingredients creating an instantaneous marriage of all five ingredients. (p.s. don’t fear the healthy fats!)
NUTRITION TIP: Castelvetrano green olives and olives, in general, contain not only heart healthy fats, monounsaturated fats, but also contain vitamin E which is great for nourishing and moisturizing hair, skin, and nails. Most olive varieties are also high in copper and contain iron.
- 4 whole eggs
- ½ cup Castelvetrano green olives, pitted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- To garnish: High-quality olive oil, pinch of sea salt, freshly ground black pepper adjusted to taste, chopped parsley or dill
- In a food processor or blender, puree the pitted Castelvetrano green olives with only a small amount of olive oil to bring the mixture together.
- The perfect poached egg instructions.
- To serve: Using a serving plate, start by laying the Castelvetrano green olive puree, followed by the two poached eggs on top. Finish by drizzling olive oil, freshly ground black pepper, and only a small amount of sea salt to taste.
- Enjoy with a piece of Nourishing Nut & Seed Bread, Grain Free Walnut Bread, or Artisan Seeded Bread from the NScookbook
Have you tried these olives before? Ever blended them into a “butter” spread? I know it sounds crazy, but it’s delicious! Let me know how you like this recipe in the comments or if you have questions. It also helps when you rate the recipe when you try it so I can improve them for you. Be sure to snap a picture when you make it at home share it on Instagram with #nutritionstripped so I can see!
Get even more delicious, healthy recipes that you can’t find on the blog in the Nutrition Stripped Cookbook. Get your copy here!
Photo: Katie Newburn
Sign up for the mailing list and get the FREE Rules to Living Whole and Eating Well eBook!