Today I’m thrilled to share a salad from friend and fellow health advocate Madeleine Shaw. Madeleine is all about making healthy eating simple and delicious and has agreed to share her Breakfast Salad recipe from her book Ready, Steady, Glow with Nutrition Stripped. This recipe is a new take on breakfast – a salad with a fried egg over a bed of greens with a touch of pesto. Are you into it? Keep reading for the recipe!
Breakfast salads are new to the Nutrition Stripped blog, and I’m loving the idea of mixing up breakfast with this delicious salad recipe. I’m thinking of it as a deconstructed green smoothie with an egg on top, yeah?
“Breakfast salads are one of my favourite ways to start the day. I love mixing up my morning routine every now and then, and this dish helps me do just that. I prefer to fry my eggs in coconut oil; not only does it have a higher smoking point than regular oils but it also doesn’t denature with heat. It makes the eggs super crispy, too!”
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 large avocado, peeled and sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2-4 cups arugula (rocket)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tsp chopped chives
- 2 tbsp good-quality pesto or leftover pesto mint
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a high heat for 1 minute.
- Crack in the eggs, spaced apart,put a lid on the pan and cook for 1–2 minutes until the yolks are runny – or cook for a little longer if you prefer your eggs well done.
- Slice the avocado and toss with the lemon juice. Arrange the arugula, tomatoes, and avocado on a plate and top with the fried eggs.
- Scatter over the chopped chives and drizzle over the pesto to finish.
Salad for breakfast?
Do you ever eat salad for breakfast? Are you willing to give it a try? If you do, let me know what you think in the comments! And if you try it at home, tag #nutritionstripped on Instagram so I can see!
Madeleine’s Ready, Steady, Glow is a book of two halves offering weekday recipes that can be made in less than 30 minutes, alongside sumptuous show-stopping meals perfect for the weekend. All recipes are wheat-free and sugar-free, bursting with flavor and nutritional value, and contain natural ingredients that can be found in your local supermarket.
The #NSCookbook is being released in a little over two weeks! Pre-order your copy here and get it August 23rd!