This month, I’m happy to share another Inspired Interview with a friend, inspirational yogi, fit momma, and overall superfood queen, Sophie of Philosophie. Philosophie is one of my personal favorite protein powder lines (in actuality it’s a superfood mix with a punch of protein), the Cocoa Magic is my absolute favorite. Read more about how she balances life/work/fitness and health, what her favorite foods are, what a perfect day looks like and so much more!
INTERVIEW WITH SOPHIE JAFFE
If someone were to ask you what you “do”, what would you say?
Above all, I’m a mother to two beautiful boys. They are my world—as long as my kids are safe, happy, and healthy, that’s all that truly matters. Everything else is an added blessing in my life. I also operate my company Philosophie, which I created because I wanted to make a blend for anyone and everyone without any added sugar and soy while also ensuring that people could eat it raw and love it. The Philosophie superfood + protein blends (Green Dream, Berry Bliss, and Cacao Magic) are all vegan, raw, gluten-free, and have absolutely no filler ingredients. They contain nothing but the purest, most healing ingredients that have been deemed “superfoods” due to their exceptional nutrient density.
If you can, in two sentences how would you describe your philosophy about food and living well?
I do everything from a place of love—which means working out because I actually love the movements that I’m having my body do, or eating because I love how the food tastes and how it makes me feel. The moment you do something that’s “good for you” without having any passion for it is the moment that it loses some of its power.
Tell us about your business journey, how did you get started creating your passion into this career?
Philosophie began with me just wishing that I could have an amazing blend of superfoods and proteins together in one, convenient jar. I didn’t want to run out of camu camu or another specific ingredient and then feel like my smoothie wasn’t complete. I traveled all over LA looking for high quality, fair-trade, organic superfoods and then began packing them together into mason jars and little bags. I started giving the blends to friends and family and making everyone workout and nutrition guides. One day, while on vacation (I was in the sea in Israel with my hubby), Adi turned to me and said, “You should really grow what you’re doing and share it with more people, make it a company.” And that’s when it began to grow into what it is today.
What’s your favorite quote or mantra you can’t live without?
[Tweet “”Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?” —Marianne Williamson” @philosophie @nutrstripped]
Where do you draw most inspiration? Who? What?
I’m inspired by my hubbie, Adi—he’s one of the most humble, hard-working, LOVING people I’ve ever met. I’m inspired by my babies for the beautiful people they’re growing up to be each day. And I’m inspired by my Philosophie Tribe—I’m super open about my life, including my ups and my downs, and I love having a community of such strong, supportive, empowering people– especially the women in my circles.
What’s your favorite product in the line?
I love them all—they’re kind of like my babies, BUT I am such a lover of sweets + chocolate that I may have to say Cacao Magic! I add it to smoothies of course, nana ice cream, as a base for cacao bark, chia pudding, the list goes on and on. It has zero sugar and so many incredible nutrients and ingredients like reishi mushroom, maca, mesquite + chia seeds. Green dream manuka honey is a close second! I drizzle it on everything!
Picture this, you’re living your most perfect day- what does this look like?
I do a yoga flow with my kiddies, make them a breakfast that makes them smile + fall in love with wholesome food even more. Then I’d get a relaxing Thai massage, go on a hike in Topanga, go to Venice to visit all of my beautiful soul sisters + do some acro yoga play and watch the sunset over the Pacific Ocean. Then close the day with something simple, maybe take an evening walk in nature with the kids and our dog, Lucca + then have a movie night with my hubby!
Now what’s your actual typical day look like?
I’m so lucky because each day I do something different, which is always fun! Depending on the day, I’ll do product demos, teach a special yoga class, teach a private cooking class, connect with friends for a photo or video shoot, blog, meet with my team or catch up on work emails, take care of my kiddies, spend time with my hubby, hang with friends, go hiking or to the beach, or cook up a new recipe! To be honest, many of my typical days ARE dream days. That’s why my life is incredible, it’s close to perfect in so many ways. The moment I feel that my days are less of the ideal ones and more of the draining ones, I check in and make changes. My happiness is most important, as it leaks into my work world, motherhood + relationship when I’m not feeling fulfilled.
It’s not always easy running your own business- actually far from it! Can you tell us about challenges that occur and how you deal with them?
Time—there’s so much, too much to be done. And I really want to do EVERYTHING that I can; I want to share wellness with as many people as I can around the world, but I also want to feel free, like I can hike, dance, and play with my kids without being chained to my laptop all the time. I want to stop and smell the roses, and as a huge believer in the power of balance, I think everyone should be able to.
You’re an über fit momma, which is so inspirational for women everywhere- and we all know nutrition plays a HUGE role in that. What’s your typical meal for…
- First thing upon waking: The moment I wake up, I sip on a glass of warm water with a slice of fresh lemon. After a long night of sleep, the body needs to hydrate and flush out the digestive system, which the burst of citrus helps to stimulate. If I’m not in the mood for that I’ll have a probiotic drink like coconut kefir or a bubbly KeVita.
- Morning: Smoothies are my daily oasis of protein, fiber, healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and YUMMINESS! I love tossing fruits, leafy greens, coconut waters and nut milks, + Philosophie superfoods into a blender and having a filling, energizing smoothie ready in 5 minutes (this Summer Peach Smoothie is currently one of my go-tos).
- Lunch: I toss up my salads with dark leafy greens, gut-friendly fermented foods, omega-packed nuts and seeds, sprouted brown rice or quinoa, a superfood dressing, and some berries or citrus slices for a touch of sweetness. Sometimes I need an over easy egg on top of salmon for extra protein. YUM!
- Supper: I love serving up a generous portion of zucchini noodles with a homemade garlic-basil pesto sauce or I’ll make wild salmon with a delicious sweet glaze and eat it with grains and a side of whatever veggies are in season. I make sweet potato fries a few nights a week and eat a bunch of them, it helps with sugar cravings and they are so delicious!
- Snacks or sweets: Dried dragonfruit, goji berries, mulberries, handful of almonds, a few spoonfuls of nut butter (I love Justin’s Vanilla), or coconut butter are great for combating hunger pangs! I like to make homemade truffles and bars, too.
- Favorite beverage: Coconut rosewater and peppermint chlorophyll water!
If you could pick one food or meal to eat over and over again, what would it be?
Any and every vegan ice cream—especially something chocolatey or mint chip! Mmmm!
What’s the one item that’s always on your grocery/market list?
Bananas! They form the creamy base in many of my smoothies.
Living well isn’t just about nourishment of food, it’s also about managing stress, sleeping well, and exercise. What’s your favorite…
- Exercise routine you can’t live without: Yoga + I love doing head/handstands! They’re so grounding for me. I need to get upside down sometimes to see the world right side up!
- Way to decompress from a busy day: Restorative yoga + a chrysalis detox bath soak!
- Favorite bedtime ritual (that you can share haha): Journaling! Meditating just before bed which usually sends me into sleep land.
- Beauty and skin routine look like: I keep my routine simple, but the MOST important part isn’t actually about what I’m putting on my face, but rather making sure that I’m getting vital nutrients into my body so that I glow from the inside OUT.
- Your favorite beauty products: Chrysalis (my sister’s hand made products!) toner and Chrysalis Oil, Serum Becca Mineral Bronzing Powder, Benefit Watt’s Up! Highlighter, Nars Blush in Torrid, Russian Amber Imperial Dry Shampoo, Santal 33 Perfume, Stem Cell Daily’s Gold Serum, Tarte Amazonian Clay BB Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20
- Your favorite hair care tip: I get a blowout once a month which seriously changes my life! I highly suggest it. I don’t wash my hair for about a week, but it stays wonderful for the full 7 days! For the first three days I wear it down, the next few days I use dry shampoo and do cute styling, and then days 7 and 8 are for a cute messy bun or braid. If you make them last awhile, take cute photos, and go to social functions while it’s blown out, you feel like a goddess! (I CANNOT style my own hair so this is why this especially feels so luxurious!) less is more – stop washing your hair so much!
- Your secret (not so secret anymore) beauty tip: Pretty sure this isn’t a secret, but coconut oil is absolute magic. It can nourish + moisturize your hair, face, body + smells amazing! Among other things…. 😉
What makes you laugh, smile, and be joyful?
Laughter and free play/imagination with my kids. Dance. Yoga. Meditation. Nature. Hiking. Making love. Friendship. Community. An inspiring movie. Creating new dishes/meals. Sharing my spirit and true self with others.
Do you have advice, personal tips, tricks to feeling and looking radiant that you can share?
Find recipes for nourishing dishes you can’t wait to make, sign up for a workout class that is the highlight of your day, and buy or make natural, non-toxic beauty products that smell and feel amazing. A little concealer and highlighter under eyes helps too!
Saving the big one for last, where do you see yourself in the next 2-3 years? Any big plans you want to share!
In the next 2-3 years I see myself writing a book (I’m halfway through the first draft of a book I’m writing with my sons!! This is the first place I’ve mentioned it! Ahhh!) and coming out with even more helpful health products. Next on the agenda is a single use coconut water based superfood powder to add to water while on the go! I’m also continuing to co- lead my Nourish Your Soul retreats all around the world with Rachelle Tratt of The Neshema Project, and starting a new workshop series with my girlfriend Caley Alyssa, empowering women to step into their power. So many exciting things on the horizon. Life is beyond good!