Soup. Ah, soup is the one dish I think we universally love in the fall and winter, right? This is one of my favorite go-to’s and am so happy to share this with you today in hopes you’ll create this in your kitchen later for a super easy and healthy lunch or dinner for your busy week! Hearty Black Bean and Corn Soup is a hearty combination of sweet corn, starchy black beans, fiber rich zucchini, all swimming in a tomato and vegetable stock base; topped with fresh cilantro, lime, jalapeno, and avocado and you’ve totally got it made.
One of my favorite combinations in the world of legumes and starchy vegetables is black beans + corn…or black beans, corn, and sweet potatoes. Anytime that I can whip up a large recipe of soup or stew that’ll last me the entire week, is one that I’ll always have on my list for Batch Cooking day. The black beans are a great source of fiber, protien, and minerals such as magnesium; the corn and zucchini furhter give a boost of fiber in the soup. To add more protein to this soup, you can cube organic tempeh, tofu, add in 3-4 tablespoons of hemp seeds per serving, chicken, grill shrimp- whatever YOU enjoy! Also, last week I shared the Best Corn Muffins….you guys, all I have to say is just PLEASE try these together. Break open a warm corn muffin, drizzle it with a little honey (or maple syrup), a pinch of sea salt, and dunk it in this soup- I promise you’ll thank me later. You can also serve this soup with Classic Cashew Cheese, KiteHill Cream Cheese, fresh cut chives, cilantro, diced red onion, sliced avocado, red pepper flakes, and sliced jalapeno for added kick!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1, 15 ounce can organic diced tomato
- 1, 15 ounce can organic black beans, well rinsed
- 1 cup frozen organic sweet corn
- 1 large (about 1 cup) diced zucchini
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Garnish options: fresh cilantro, sliced jalapeno, sliced avocado, red pepper flakes, fresh lime juice
- In a dutch oven or large pot, heat coconut oil, chopped onions and garlic and cook for 8-10 minutes or until soft and fragrant. Add sea salt, black pepper, and cumin while cooking the garlic and onions. Next add the diced zucchini, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and vegetable stock. Cook until the zucchini pieces are soft and tender, about 20 minutes.
- To serve: serve hot with optional garnish toppings. Store in the fridge for up to a week or freeze for later in the freezer.
YOUR TURN: What are your favorite soup toppings? Crunchy, salty, creamy, or all of the above? Let me know what you think when you give this recipe a go! Leave a comment and rate it, rating helps me continue to improve recipes for you. I love seeing what you come up with so don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #nutritionstripped on Instagram!
OPTIMIZE, YOU DESERVE IT! I work 1-1 with women just like you all over the world to help optimize their health, reach goals, feel and look amazing! Sign up here to chat with me about how we can work together and take the first step to make this your healthiest and happiest year yet.
Can’t wait for you to try this combo!