You’re welcome, guys. These are ridiculously good, simple to make, and delicious! Frozen Superfood Bananas with Raw Chocolate Sauce can be made in so many ways. These frozen fiber and potassium rich bananas topped with raw chocolate sauce rich in antioxidants and superfood crunchy toppings to make the perfect simple healthy dessert everyone will love. I’m going to share my favorites with you today and the next time you’re craving chocolate, ice cream, or want to reach for a popsicle, try these!
HEALTHY DESSERT 101
Remember my Campfire Banana Boats last summer? Those were a huge hit so I’m bringing back bananas in a different way this summer – completely frozen and topped with “superfoods”/ nutrient dense ingredients to give these beautiful color, added nutrition, and a little crunchy texture! Not only are these beautiful, but they’re a crowd pleaser and so fun to share with friends and family at BBQ’s, picnics, pool parties, or late night hangs on the porch. Note to friends with banana allergies, try sliced mango, pear, or pineapple. For a recap about why bananas are so great, read up on the NS Pantry page for bananas health benefits and nutrition information. You can also make these into “pops” by adding a skewer or wooden stick into the center of each banana half before freezing- these are great for portable snacks and desserts as well!
- 3 large bananas, peeled and cut in half (widthways)
- For the raw chocolate sauce:
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional garnishes for the toppings: toasted coconut, bee pollen, freeze dried raspberries, cacao nibs, lemon zest, cocoa powder, goji berries, powdered vanilla, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, and pistachios
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, placing each banana half about an inch or two from each other to make room for toppings. Place a skewer or popsicle stick in the center of each banana, going up the length of the banana. Place in the freezer for 8 hours or overnight until hard.
- In the meantime, make the raw chocolate sauce to pour on top of each banana half. In a small mixing bowl combine cocoa powder, maple syrup, sea salt, and coconut oil until smooth. I'll make this right before assembling bananas.
- Once bananas are completely frozen, using a spoon, drizzle the raw chocoate sauce over each half of the banana, immediately garnish it with optional garnishes, repeat until all bananas are covered.
- Place bananas back on the parchment paper and place in the freezer for 30 minutes or until chocolate has set.
- Store and serve directly out of the freezer. I keep these in a airtight glass container for up to a month.
TO MAKE THIS RECIPE, I USED: cocoa powder, goji berries, bee pollen, coconut oil, hemp seeds, cacao nibs, freeze dried raspberries, vanilla powder, and popsicle sticks.
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do, guys! Can’t wait to see these in action during your summer hangs, be sure to tag #nutritionstripped when you try it and rate the recipe since it helps me improve them in the future. Have a beautiful weekend!
p.s. Love this simple, make-ahead snack and want more delicious recipes like it? Check out the NS Society and learn how to meal prep like a boss with healthy recipes, meal plans, shopping lists, and nutrition ebooks.