Happy new recipe Tuesday! I hope you’re hungry for these simple, delicious, Chickpea Burgers which make for a quick lunch and awesome leftovers. This is a sneak peek recipe (and my favorite entree) from the NS Society in celebration of 2017 enrollment being open TODAY! I created the Society years ago to help share the method of how to master meal planning with literally everything planned out for ya!
You’ll get all exclusive content I don’t share anywhere else including a year’s worth of meal plans, 100’s healthy recipes, grocery shopping lists, cooking plans, cooking videos, workout videos, ebooks, seasonal whole food resets, and best of all an incredible global community. Enrollment is only open from 4/25- 5/3, so if you want to join us!
But first, let’s talk burgers…
A better burger.
This chickpea burger recipe is an alternative to the favorite black bean burger. It’s packed with plant-based protein from chickpeas and added spices give it a boost of flavor to rival your favorite black bean patty. This recipe was inspired by the favorite Spaghetti Squash and Chickpea Meatballs from a few years ago but takes on a different flavor that’s perfect for topping with your favorite veggies, relish, and condiments. I topped mine with a delicious radish salad recipe that’s coming to the blog in a few weeks!
The idea behind this recipe is that you can take about 30 minutes on your batch cooking day and make enough burgers to include in your meal plan for the week. This recipe is especially great for meal prep because the chickpea burgers are so versatile – just add your favorite toppings and enjoy a different burger each time.
MY FAVORITE TOPPING COMBOS:
Radish salad + mustard (my favorite!)
Lemon Lime Guacamole + Salsa
Mint Chutney + extra herbs
Cashew Cheese + lettuce + tomato
Vegan Tzatziki + fresh veggies
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour (or other gluten-free flour)
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ⅓ cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup ground pecans
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, adjust to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes, adjust to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, adjust to taste
- 1, 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and dried
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium heated skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and onion. Saute chopped onion for 2-4 minutes until it starts to soften. Add minced garlic with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Continue to cook for about 2 minutes until fragrant.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the sauteed onions and garlic with nutritional yeast, hemp seeds, egg, chickpea flour, ground pecans, oats, spices, remaining olive oil (2 tablespoons), and chickpeas. Pulse together until the mixture is well blended.
- Pour this mixture out into a large mixing bowl. Adjust seasonings to taste before you start shaping these into burger sized patties. Use a little olive oil or water to coat your hands to prevent the chickpea patties from sticking, repeat until all of the batter is used.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until patties are golden brown. Serve with a gluten free bun or lettuce wrap and top with desired toppings.
Note: You can make these completely vegan if you like by using a flax egg, or use the 1 egg I highly recommend here.
Top it your way!
What’s your favorite way to top a burger or favorite meal prep recipe? Share yours in the comments – I love hearing your favorites! And if you want more simple meal prep friendly recipes and all the tools you need to master meal prep, join the Society before enrollment is closed at the end of next week!