Carrot Orange & Ginger Soup is a delicious spring style soup for the warmer seasons approaching us. It’s incredibly light and refreshing with sweet carrots and hints of citrus and warming ginger. The official first day of spring is just around the corner and I’ve been in the mood for celebrating spring produce in any way I can with recipes- including springtime soups!
Carrot Orange & Ginger Soup is loaded with heaps of vitamin A especially from the carrots, vitamin C from the oranges, and warming ginger which provides digestive aid amongst other health benefits. Not only is this soup nutrient dense, but it’s also low in calories, which may come at a perfect time for most who are trying to “slim” for spring and summer. Most of us don’t associate soup recipes for the spring and summer months of the year, I hope that with this recipe is can be a new favorite to enjoy!
Serve with |
- A dollop of Classic Cashew Cheese in the middle
- Garnish with fresh cut chives, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, pine nuts, hemp seeds, more orange zest
- Dip Nourishing Nut & Seed Bread into it, one of my favorite ways to enjoy this!
- Serve with gluten free crackers on the side
- Serve chilled or warm
The amazing thing about this soup is the flavor translates really well both eaten cold/slightly chilled or warm/hot. I accidentally found this out this past week! I’ve been moving from one home to another and at the same time remodeling the kitchen, bath, and completely painting our entire home- a lot of fun yet tiring work and not a lot of time to cook. I batch cooked this Carrot Orange & Ginger Soup on Sunday in preparation for our busy week ahead; I had no way of heating this soup but still enjoyed it slightly chilled, it tasted just as amazing if not more so when warmed.
TIP // although you could skip the entire steps that deal with cooking and make this an all raw soup (it’d still taste fantastic), carrots are one of few vegetables that actually increase in nutrition with cooking!
- 1½ lbs. raw carrots, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1 whole orange (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3-4 dates, pitted (adjust to sweeten)
- 1½ inch fresh ginger root
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- GARNISH // pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, fresh cilantro, Classic Cashew Cheese
- In a large soup pot, on medium heat add coconut oil, garlic, onions, sea salt, and celery to soften. Cook for about 5-8 minutes.
- Add chopped carrots and cook for about 10 minutes allowing the vegetables to slightly caramelize.
- Add vegetable stock and filtered water.
- Cook until the carrots are fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Carefully pour the hot liquids with vegetables in a high speed blender (or if you have an emersion blender you may use this as well) with all remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- At this point, add the orange and fresh ginger and blend again until smooth. You can adjust the liquid at this point, if you like a thinner soup just add more water or leave it be and the soup will be thicker.
- Reheat as needed on the stovetop or else store in the fridge for leftovers!
- Garnish with your favorite seeds and fresh herbs or cashew cheese.
THINNER // add more liquid
I hope you all love this recipe as much as I’ve been loving it! I made a huge batch of it this past weekend in preparation for our big move, it’s been a life saver to keep my body fueled and belly happy with nourishing foods. Stay tuned, I promise to share pictures of our new digs (and my mini dream kitchen!) soon 🙂