Next time you run out the door, be sure to take a couple of these Protein Superfood Balls on-the-go to keep you feeling amazing in between meals!
Protein’s a hot topic, especially in the health and wellness industry with some professionals saying you need X amount, while others swear by plant-based proteins only, while others are all for animal only proteins and the list goes on. But what’s the deal? What actually works and why is protein so important? First up, the amount you need is dependent on your lifestyle, your goals, and your unique genetic makeup (if you need some 1-1 advice, consider becoming a client). Otherwise, a simple rule of thumb is to have a serving of protein with each meal, whether that’s plant-based or animal-based, whatever fits your lifestyle.
In the meantime, enjoy these protein-packed balls of goodness! These are:
- Made in 10 minutes
- Full of plant-based protein
- Great source of healthy fats
- Great for on-the-go
(nutrition) stripped: how these can fill the hunger gap between lunch and dinner
- Proteins, which break down into different amino acids, are needed by every single cell in our body and work to keep our bodies healthy by providing energy, hormonal production, immune health, enzymes, storage/transportation of other molecules, turning off certain hunger hormones, rebuilding tissue and muscle and maintaining lean body mass (hello muscle). It’s the one macronutrient I give a little bit more love and attention to when coaching clients – making sure they have enough and the right mix of carbohydrates and healthy fats to support their goals and health.
- Healthy fats along with fiber and protein are a great combo for keep hunger at bay, not to mention just as important as protein in our diet! Learn more about why you shouldn’t fear the fat, here.
- Fiber from the assortment of nuts, seeds, dried fruit, and flaxseed can help keep you feeling fuller longer, provide healthy prebiotics (i.e. food to create the good bacteria in your body), and keep your blood sugars stable (bye bye energy crash at 3 pm).
Regardless if you live a “plant-based” lifestyle or you’re someone like me who needs both (I like plant-based proteins + eggs, chicken, and fish) to feel really amazing and it’s what I’ve learned works for my body over the years; we can all incorporate more plant-based proteins! Plant-based proteins, yes contain protein, but often they’ll contain carbohydrates (fiber), healthy fats, and different amounts of vitamins and minerals than animal-based proteins. For example, look at peas, beans, and quinoa – all contain protein wrapped up in carbohydrates and fiber versus animal-proteins which are mostly more protein and may contain fat. Both can be beneficial depending on your lifestyle. Okay, okay, now onto how to incorporate more plant-based proteins in this easy on-the-go snack ball!
I always get questions about which protein powders I like using in recipes and I’m a big fan of trying new ones, like this one for this recipe from Amazing Grass. I first heard of Amazing Grass through a friend, then tried it for myself and really enjoyed their greens powders especially when traveling. I only share companies that I love with you in hopes it opens the door to new things for you to try. It’s an added bonus that they’re 100% organic, support local farms across the country, and this Protein Superfood includes two servings of fruits and veggies, seven greens like organic spinach, organic spirulina, organic chlorella and organic broccoli so it’s really packing a nutritional punch. I use the Vanilla flavor here, but I also tried this recipe with the Chocolate Peanut Butter Flavor and it turned out rich and delicious!
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ⅓ cup organic peanut butter (may use seed butter)
- ½ cup Amazing Grass Protein Superfood, Vanilla or Chocolate Peanut Butter Flavor
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients until a dough forms. The dough should be very sticky and be held together when pinched between two fingers.
- Using your hand, roll the dough into 1 tablespoon balls and repeat until the entire mixture is rolled into balls. Place on a lined baking sheet or plate and chill in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours or overnight.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks or freeze.
Not only am I sharing this product with you for this recipe, but Nutrition Stripped has also teamed up with Amazing Grass to share a special offer with you! Receive 40% off of any Amazing Grass product with code 40NUTRITIONSTRIPPED17. In addition, Amazing Grass is partnering with me for a giveaway–among other prizes, 2 Grand Prize Winners will win a health consultation and nutrition plan from yours truly! To enter, head to the Amazing Grass website.
If you try this recipe, I wanna hear about it, so let’s chat! Leave a comment below, and don’t forget to tag a picture with #nutritionstripped to share your NS creations on Instagram! I’d love to see what you come up with. Now off to make a batch of these…