This smoothie is loaded with (can you guess?), VITAMIN C and enzymes! The key ingredients in this smoothie are pineapple, papaya, banana, and cucumber. The flavors of this smoothie are cool, refreshing, bright, and full of sweet citrus notes; it reminds me of sitting on the beach somewhere in the tropics relaxing…ahhh, let’s just take a moment and fantasize about that. Okay, moment over, smoothie time!
Pineapple is the star of this smoothie. Pineapple is very high in vitamin C and manganese, in which both play key role in energy production and antioxidant defenses. Papaya is high in vitamin C and vitamin A, both contain helpful digestive enzymes. Pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain which is not only helpful for our digestion and breakdown of amino acids (a.k.a. proteins), but also has great anti inflammatory benefits. Bromelain found in pineapple is not only a great antioxidant and enzyme, but has been touted to help with inflammation, muscle relaxation//contraction//pain, cancer prevention, antibiotic absorption, enhances excretion of fat, shortens labor, and inhibits blood platelet aggregation (a.k.a. blood clotting). But wait, papaya also has a digestive enzyme called papain, that acts very similarly to bromelain found in pineapple.
I love this smoothie whenever I’m feeling a little cold//flu coming on, when I feel I need a little extra boost of antioxidants, or need a digestive aid.
Nutrient breakdown of VITAMIN C SURGE |
- Vitamin C (obviously, ha)
- Vitamins | A, B1, B5, B6, folate, E, K
- Phytonutrients | flavonoids, lignans, triterpenes (mainly from cucumbers)
- 1 cup frozen organic pineapple (or fresh)
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ frozen cup papaya (or fresh)
- 1 whole organic cucumber
- ½- 1 cup coconut water (or water or almond milk)
- Simply combine all the ingredients into Vitamix//high speed blender and blend until thick and creamy.
- You may add more/less liquid depending on desired thickness.
Do you enjoy pineapple? What’s your favorite way to eat pineapple? Comment below!